Thursday, May 29, 2008

Puppy Check List

So I have been thinking about everything I need to buy for the pup. Here is what I have so far. I will not need all of these things right away, but I am just pulling a list together. Let me know if I am missing something important.

Travel Kennel - I am hoping that I still have one from my Lab, Kavu. If not, I will probably buy whatever plastic kennel I can find that is on sale.

Whistle - I really have no idea what kind to get. I have never used a whistle, but it sounds like it would be a good idea for me to get a general, all-purpose whistle to use with the pup. My hope is that he will learn early that a whistle means "pay attention". Looks like Roy Gonia makes a good whistle.

Collar - I'll probably just get something cheap until he grows up. At that point, I have spotted some very nice leather collars at www.snowcanyonoutfitters.com.

Leads - I read on someone's blog that they had made their own using some static climbing rope that were scraps from an outdoor store. That sounds like a good idea.
Puppy Gate - I really do not have a good idea for keeping the pup in the kitchen. Wolters suggests in his book (for housebreaking purposes) to keep the pup in a room with a hard floor that is in a high traffic area. That is our kitchen, but it is a wide open room. So, it will be very difficult to keep him in the kitchen without barricading our kitchen to where it is a hassle for everyone in my family under 6'4".
Training Bumpers - Let me know if there are preferences out there. Once again, I will probably get whatever is on sale.
Stainless Steel Bowls -
Bed - I have seen some fairly inexpensive beds that appear to be durable.
Comb - More on this later. My friend, Don, showed me a great comb that works really well. I can't remember the name of the thing, but I'll ask him about it and post it on here.

That's all I have at this point.

No comments: